Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend Update- 4/25 & 4/26

This weekend was an eventful weekend in our house! (Sat.Part 1 might be TMI for some, please feel free to skip if you like)

Saturday-Part 1- DH and I got up and around, DH was heading to his parent's to spend some time with his dad, and I was going to run around with a friend of mine, we were then going to meet up at the hospital. While I was dilly-dallying around the house and waiting for my friend to call, I was checking out my incision and making sure some swelling due to scar tissue was not getting worse. While I was feeling my scar, I happened to feel what felt like a hole right on the incision. I bent over a bit to take a look, and pushed the skin a little to raise the incision, and it popped like a zit. EW! Then from said hole, it started "draining" Um...yuk! I called the Dr. and they said it sounded normal but to come in so that they could check that the drainage did not contain any infection. So I called Ryan back to go with me. We got to the ER (In the middle of a monsoon might I add) and checked in. They got me into a room rather quickly and swabbed the incision for a culture. My OB was on call so he came down and said it looked okay, but they had to probe it. Now let me describe this process to you. They take a stick about the width of a q-tip, but the length of a straw, and stick it in the hole to see if the under portion (tissue, ute etc) stitches have come away as well. They probe both horizontally and vertically. And it hurts. Like a Bit...well you get the idea, it hurts bad. They gave me an antibiotic and discharge papers...and then all the alarms went off. Well that's just great. So we got out of dodge before it got even more chaotic.

Saturday-Part 2- So DH takes me back home to get around and then goes back to his dad's, we are to meet at the hospital in a few hours. By the time I am down getting around and pumping, the monsoon has started again. Thankfully I am parking in the ramp. I walk in and see Tom (who is a NICU RN, but not for Dawson) and some other nurses that I recognize standing at the lobby cafe. It crosses my mind that "If they are all down here...who is watching Dawson" but I bite my tongue being that I am pretty sure none of them are on Dawson today. I go to the elevators and one of them is stuck half open with a sign on it that says "ElevatorS down" but the other 2 elevators seem to be working so I get in. I get up to the NICU and start scrubbing. Then...the power goes out and it is pitch black. All of a sudden there are nurses and Dr.s everywhere swarming Dawson and checking the oscillator to make sure that it is still running. In passing I hear " Oh good, it stayed running this time"..um what?!?! Then in come the 3 nurses I seen at the cafe stand. Who are all shouting something along the lines of finding my husband. I of course am looking around like "who me? my husband? uhh what?!"

Apparently, this was not the first power outage of the night. Earlier, Sue (Dawson's nurse, who was at the cafe stand by the way, but there a cover nurse) got stuck in the elevator when the power went out, and Dawson's oscillator was not on the correct circuit and went down. They had to use the hand bag to get him oxygen. They got the circuit changed and all set, but when the power went out the second time, the nurses could not get back to the NICU via elevator, so they had to use the staff access elevators. On the way they ran into DH, who trekked up there with them. Ensue chaos. Pshew.

Sunday- My phone rings, and it is the NICU "Oh shit" but Sarah is calling me to tell me...that Dawson opened his eyes!! DH and I get around and head up to the hospital. I checked in with Sarah, and headed over, but they were shut again. Apparently, he opened them and they administered the salve..and they never opened again. So Sarah wanted to try to give him a bath to see if that would help. She washed him down from head to toe..and nothing. (We did discover though...that his hair is somewhat curly when wet...great) Then we moved on to changing the linens, and Sarah let me lift him up to do that while she managed his tube. While I was holding him up and DH was changing his blanket, 1 little peeper came open and checked me out!! After that DH and I managed to poke and prod him long enough to get him to take a look-see around at mom and dad. He was also sticking his tongue out all over and awake. We did go back after dinner too and were able to watch his assessment, which was good. She changed his position and then he started to get fussy and his levels went up, so DH and I took off and let him rest. After checking in a few hours later though, all things were back to normal and stable.

With his Bink...and no...they did not have any other color than purple.




Dawson's bink (left) and Standard size Preemie binky on the right.


With dad.

2 comments:

Mari said...

yay, his eyes are open!

Amber said...

That's awsome that you got to see his eyes open! He sounds like he is getting stronger everyday.