Friday, April 10, 2009

My little man, the recap.

Tuesday night, Ryan went back over to the RNICU to check on Dawson and scope things out. They talked with Ryan a bit and explained about the ventilator, and his blood transfusions. We were able to confirm that he was O negative, and his blood gases were looking good. He was covered up with the bubble wrap, in order to keep the heat in. Ryan's parents were able to go in, along with my mom. They were not able to touch him yet. When he came back he updated me, and before bed I called the nurse to check in. She explained that they moved him from the ventilator, to the oscillator. They explained that in a way this was a minor setback, but it is more gentle because instead of hard breaths, it just puffs in constant air to keep the air pockets inflated, therefore decreasing the chance that they can stick together if they get closed-causing the lungs to colapse.

His nurse then called me again on Wed. morning and explained that thoughout the night, they were able to reduce the oxygen level. The oxygen level he receives is closer to room quality oxygen, just like I breathe.

Wednesday, Ingham was able to grant me a leave of absence to go over to Sparrow and see my son. We got there and spoke with "DR Ivonoff" who explained that we were pretty much unchanged. They confirmed that Dawson does have a hole in his heart and they are currently medicating him so that can close. We then we able to meet Dr. Karna, who will be Dawson's dr. for the long haul. She questioned me a bit to try and identify what happened to cause his delivery, but it is not something they can find. I straight out asked what Dawson's survival level was, they are quoting him at 85%, Dawson is not out of the woods just yet, but we are getting there.

The nurse they let us have a moment with Dawson, with the light off of his face and his face mask off. (This he has due to the jaundice). I just sat there with Ryan and wept. So upset at the aspect that my body had failed my baby, and not knowing what the next few months would bring for my son. The nurse came back and let me hold his hand, stroke his toes and just watch him. They were able to take the bubble wrap off, as the light was working wel enough to keep him warm. We were able to watch her take his temperature and change his diaper. The minute that diaper came off he just went spread eagle, flailing his legs and enjoying the freedom :D

When it was time for us to leave DH and I had to go back to Ingham. Dr. Ferick had come over to check on me, and just basically re-iterated that there was no way to see this coming and we really just need to hope for the best. She checked my incision and determined that I needed a checkup next week, and due to the pain from the activity on Wed. I could stay in the hospital until Friday. I called again to check on Dawson before bed, and he remained unchanged.

Thursday DH and I rested up for most of the day at Ingham, taking some time to sleep. I was also able to start pumping with a beneficial result ;D Ingham decided they would store that for me, and I could take it with me to Sparrow and they could freeze that. DH and I went over to Sparrow around 8pm and met with his night nurse, Beth. She confirmed he was still a bit unchanged, but they had done the Xray on his brain and they were able to confirm there was no blood on the brain. They also did and Echo, and found that the hole on his heart is starting to close.

Friday morning DH and I were discharged. We went over to Sparrow to visit, and I took a brief class on Breastmilk storage. The lactation consultant said that it might be in my best interest to rent a hospital grade pump, since the suction was stronger. I was fitted for that and they got me the pump. DH was able to see Dawson yawn, and see his teeny tongue. He starts blowing bubbles and he moves his legs and arms alllll over the place. He likes to tug on his ears and touch his face, but is not really a fan of having his feet touched. Its amazing to see his little personality being so feisty so soon. I called back around 7 before the shift change to check in with his nurse Shelly, and she explained that they were able to wean down his Oxygen again, twice in 1 day. We have to keep praying that our feisty boy keeps on fighting.

5 comments:

Leesa said...

It is great news to hear that Dawson is doing so well! We have been thinking about him and praying for him so much. We will definitely continue! I must say that I have been stalking your blog a little for an update. I'm glad that you are updating here. Also, congrats on having some success with pumping! I can relate in how good of a feeling it is!!!

Cupcake Enthusiast said...

Hey there... I am glad I found your blog.I have been trying to update everyone (and mikey too)and trying not to bother you so this is a nice place to see the information straight from the person who should be giving it. Everyone at work is thinking about you guys and praying for you. I am realizing what a great place we work, lots of big hearts.

I cant believe how tiny and cute his little feet are. Cant wait to touch them... you know me a feet.

Love you guys... Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Know that our prayers will continue for you all. I am so sorry that you are having to experience this and since I have no clue as to what you are feeling, just know that we are here for you . . . ANYTIME! God has blessed you and in time, when he's home, it will all be worth the wait. Love you guys!

Ellen said...

It sounds like you have a fighter! So glad to hear about his little victories....they will keep on coming. It is a long road that you guys are on but you have so many people thinking of you and praying for you.
Remember to take the time you need to heal! I know it is easier said than done, but take some time for yourself. And enjoy some sleep....before you know it Dawson will be home and you will get to have those special middle of the night feedings and snuggles.

Stephanie said...

We are praying for Dawson to keep fighting. I feel a special connection to your situation because our little boy Kyle is due around the same time Dawson was...Thanks for the updates... we will keep checking back to see how things are going.