Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The race re-cap I didn't want to write..

Now this post, I have been putting off, for oh 2 weeks or so.

October 23rd was my second 5k, it was a fundraiser for our Junior Achievement program here in MI. This is a cause that has been around for quite some time, is heavily involved with my place of work, and really tries to do a GREAT job for the community and kids. My dad used to be a JA teacher back in the day, and really used to a do a lot for the cause. The events were always so fun. So when I started working with a business that was community partners with them, I jumped at the chance to participate. I have done their different bowling adventures for the past 3 winters, but this was my first 5k.

The day started out bleak and dreary, with a side of sprinkles and rain. Fun. It was windy and cold and there were about a bazillion people crammed in one pavilion to try and stay out of the cold/wet. They had costume characters, food, face painting and Zumba Warm-ups!! Their flier also said something about massages but all I seen was one dude with a funny looking chair. Um No thanks!

I was really excited for the warm-ups but they were crammed inside and the costume characters were really getting into it, doing the dance moves and keeping up. One was dressed up as a gigantic cup from Quiznos, and he [she?!] did a great job!! But it didn't make for great participation so we sat that one out. Next they had the kids mile which was really only about a quarter of a mile. It was cute and all the kids tried so hard. But after my two little cousins signed up and lined up to start, we started noticing other kids just jumping in. Now, I know the event was about the kids, and we always want to encourage participation, but the bottom line is to generate funds for a great cause. And it is so frustrating to see people taking advantage because they know no one is going to say anything. The kids already got free food and free take home pumpkins, so that totally rubbed me the wrong way.

Next up was the adults. I was just repeating in my head, over and over, pace yourself. pace yourself. pace yourself. Next thiing I know I hear "Ready, set..." And I reached for my Ipod to get it started and turn on my Garmin (My new toy! LOVE!) Well, as I turned on my Garmin, I knocked into my ipod and paused it (only I didnt know that I paused it) . "GO!" So I try to start running, get out of the way and figure out what is going on with my jams. They are supposed to be motivating me! Encouraging me! Enlightening me! Nada.

So remember that part where I mentioned the crappy weather?! I had gloves on. Which means the Ipod wasn't recognizing my urgent pressing fingers. So while I am getting passed by runners, walkers, kids and strollers I have no tunes and am totally flustered. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, and I should of just let it go, but it totally changed my focus. I finally took my gloves off and got my ipod going, but while I was getting back around my arm, I swung my other arm forward and caught the cord and ripped the headphones off my head causing them to swing between my legs. I'm telling you, I can't make this stuff up. Oh my goodness!

I [FINALLY] finally get all my ducks in a row and realize I am already at the water station. Only I didn't need any because I was carrying a water bottle [got that now?! Gloves, water bottle, Ipod and Garmin. I was a mess] but it helped me get back on track. Only I was out of breath. And cold. and rained on. I just proceeded to run/ walk the entire rest of the race and came in at 42:18. Over 2 minutes worse than last time, but I finished. I will take that as a success in itself, because I really, REALLY wanted to quit. I knew it was going to be a wash so I just figured I might as well go get warm, but I figured I paid for it I might as well finish it.

I guess you win some, you lose some and it really just gives me something to work on and look forward to in the next race. Next time I know, maybe to wait until after the bottleneck to get my music going and just take in the crowd. Pace myself. Enjoy the event. BIG PICTURE, which is that I am running races, and loving it. I am exercising, and 3 months ago I couldn't say either fact about myself.

Next Race; 23 days!!

No comments: