Wednesday, November 17, 2010

National Prematurity Awareness Day

2 years ago my boy flipped our lives upside down and inside out in the matter of 3 hours and 16 minutes. At a mere 24w and 3d, he decided his time was up and he was ready, now. Only, we weren't ready for him.

To see the beginning of our story, please visit here.

-Dawson was born weighing less than a sack of sugar.
-He took his first helicopter ride before he even took his first snuggle.
-He went under the knife for the first time at 3 weeks old, and has done so again over SEVEN times.
-Dawson was 35 days old when I held him FOR THE FIRST TIME.
-Dawson not only had to learn how to sit-up and crawl, but he had to learn to brethe, suck, swallow and even cry.
-When Dawson was born, his eyes were still fused shut. 
-Dawson spent the first 127 days of this life, in a NICU.
-Because he was born early, he will forever be special needs. His visual impaired-ness is irreversible, for now!
-Our Dr. appts take HOURS because of all of the things we have to re-address, every 2 months. Reflux, BPD, PDA, ROP and his development.
-He has at least one appointment every week, sometimes more.
-Dawson is 19 months old, and still drinks from a bottle, crawls every where he goes. He has yet to eat a full meal of Table foods. Last week, His Day-care provider, Grandmother, and I collectively taught him to wave Bye-Bye.

Now? Now my boy is UNSTOPPABLE. He is energetic, stubborn, and SILLY. He is an honest-to-goodness real life Miracle story. 


Unfortunately, all stories do not end the same as mine. I have mentioned some of them before, but I have watched too many mothers suffer the loss of a child due to prematurity. I started this blog because I wanted NO OTHER MOTHER to have to write a story like mine.

Today, like every day, I blog for Dawson.
But today I also blog for those preemies that I have had the pleasure of "meeting";
Aaron, Wren, Marino, Ruby, Andrew, Jayden, Alex, Paige, Isabella, Giovanni, Avery, And Jack
And so many others [I apologize if I have missed anyone that I shouldn't have.]


Unfortunately, Today I also blog for those that could not win the fight, and for those that we will FOREVER love and miss!
Logan & Brody, Wyatt, Jillian, Katie Jane, Matthew Finley, Nolan, Aidan, Annaleigh, Gabriel, and Heather.
Rest in Peace sweet Angels, for you will forever be loved.

Every story is different, but every preemie is the driving force behind a wonderful organization called the March of Dimes.  Preemies are amazing, strong and courageous people, but they are people born into suffering, and a fight they didn't ask for. Every preemie is special, and they are special to so, so many people. Parent, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Siblings, and the amazing Drs and Nurses that dedicate their life's work to helping these babies fight. They cannot do it alone. We need you to come forward and be a champion for babies!! Please visit the link above to see how you can help the March of Dimes. FIGHT FOR BABIES!!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

<3 <3 <3

MoDBarb said...

Thank you for sharing Dawson's story. It is through sharing that we find strength. It is through fighting that we hope to make prematurity something no baby should have to face. We fight because they shouldn't have to.
On behalf of the March of Dims, thank you so much for helping us spread he word.

Former Fat Bride said...

Thank you for sharing your story! You are so strong!

Anonymous said...

My gosh. I cannot believe that it has been that long since D was born! I still remember reading your story on the bump and crying & praying with every blog update. You, your son, & your whole family are an inspiration. Every time I feel like whining about how shitty my life is, all I need to do is think about all of the mother who don't get to hold their babies or that didn't get to for way too long after they were born. Dawson is so incredibly lucky to have such a great momma that is willing to share his story with the world in an effort to increase awareness :)