Friday, January 25, 2013

my first time [running with a group]

Another first for me last week, I signed up for a running group. I really miss my interval runs and running in the spring, and I miss running on a schedule. After I ran my 10k in 2011 I basically just quit. There was a few races, the Warrior Dash and Turkey Trot, that I did after, but I wasn't "training" for them or even running regularly. Since I quit, I have tried to go back through the c25k program more than a few times to get my base started again and get faster, but like everything else health related, the motivation dwindled and I never made it past week 4 consistently.

A local running store has several teams that they coach, a c25k program, a triathlon program, and an "any distance, any pace" team. I'm starting out following the c25k program to get back into things, but I joined the Any distance Any pace [ADAP] team. There are 3 runs a week, 2 informal on T & Th, and a formal run on Sat. Formal runs include coaches, pacers, aide and a specific course/map. There are clinics before hand and bakery items at the end. The informal runs are really just the group meeting to run, and they also have other fun runs throughout the year where they give away tons of prizes. We also have coaching via email several times a week, a personal website and FB group to keep moving towards our goals.

I started again last Tuesday, and I wanted to see how fast I could run a mile in on the treadmill. Well. I couldn't. Well ain't that a kick in the head. Imagine that, quit training, lose your skill. damn. But, like I said in my last post, I'm moving on and the only way to go is up.

Saturday was our first formal run, and I wanted to run 2 miles in 45 minutes. I set up the c25k program on my phone, and just decided I would do it twice, back to back. All of our courses are out and back, so I just thought I would turn around when I completed it once and then I would end with the completion of number 2. I set my mind to it. and that's what I did. However, I was able to cover 4 miles instead of 2! It took me 60 minutes and I needed every single walk break, but I was happy. Eventually I would like to run more than walk, but I was so excited to know I could still handle the distance.

The group encourages all the members to set a goal, even if it is not a race. Most of the members have a goal for the end of May, but I would like to push mine out a bit more so I don't stress about failing since I am essentially starting right off of the couch.

I would love to run a half marathon, not just any half marathon, I want to run the Detroit Free Press Palmer Bank 1/2 Marathon. I signed up to run this race in 2011 and never did. I bailed on my training, and the race entirely. I didn't even go spectate or to the expo, I was so ashamed. I want to redeem myself and run from MI, to Canada and back and cross that finish line!

Have you ever raced before, or considered it? Did you train with a group, or on your own?

No comments: