Sunday, October 10, 2010

Race Recap-10/09/10

 Friday night I spent all night puttering around, keeping myself busy, and trying not to think about the fact of needing to get up in the morning and bust out 3 miles. I went grocery shopping and tail-gated for my high schools homecoming game. I even walked Dawson down to the parade, that he slept through. That kid, I swear! I finally fell out about 11p.

My alarm went off at 6:30 and I swear to God I jumped 5 feet in the air and was across my room and down the stairs in 5 seconds flat. I already had the adrenaline kick in at 6a. What was I going to do until race time. R and I got up and around and were out the door by 7. A personal record, not to be shadowed by the fact that I had laid all my stuff out the night before like I used to do before the first day of school. (True story, I used to LOVE school)

I went and picked up my packet and then took D to the in-laws for breakfast. R and D were going to stay with FIL, while I ran and then meet me at the finish line. Finally at 8:15a, I left to walk to the starting line.
So excited! Whoop! "Whoa! I have a bib!"

Bib# 572 baby!

Cousin was kind enough to come down and take pics and just be there for overall support, and she was with me no more than 30 seconds and knew I was just nervous. I had energy running though every limb and ounce of my body, and I just was antsy. She was great about keeping my spirits up, reminding me of my goals and why I was out there. Of course the committee was running about 10 mins behind so we did a lot of waiting.

Finally, the airhorn went off and I burst in to tears. Haha. I had planned it so my ipod was ready to start the minute the horn went off. I just was so filled with accomplishment already that I over-flowed. Seeing her there cheering for me, and taking my picture and hearing my song playing was just to much. I started out way to fast (which I was warned about) and was struggling so hard to keep a straight face and go forward, I knew I was wasting energy. I had to work on keeping myself on pace.

This is blurry, but the back of my shirt says "We Need a Cure"
About 3 minutes into it, we were coming up to the backside of my in-laws street and there is this dude standing there. He had on jeans and a hoodie, hat and sunglasses and had a camera. All he was doing was standing, watching the runners and waiting it out. I seriously remember thinking "dude, creeper!!" And then he picked up his camera and took my picture. It was R! HAH! Somehow I not only forgot what he was wearing, but I was so into what I was doing, I didn't even realize it was my husband. Whoopsie daisy!

I could already feel my lungs burning not even half a mile into it, and I knew I was pushing to hard. I wasn't going to make it, so I spent the rest of the race gambling with myself. Okay make it to that sign and you can walk. Okay at that drive-way we are running again. I was bummed at having to walk some, I was hoping I would be able to get through the whole thing and I felt like I walked more than I usually have to in practice. And then I got to the 1 mile mark and looked at my watch; 12.33. WHAT?! Trust me when I say I am usually a 15:00 pluser here people. I think I have blogged before that my best time was 47 minutes and change, so my goal for the race was 45 mins. Mile 2 I was still only at 27 minutes. That last mile was work though, my legs were burning and it was heating up, I knew I should have ditched my under-armor when the guys told me too. Ah well. The next thing I know, there is the 3 mile sign and I picked up pace a little bit.

I loved how they had the race set up, it was scenic and beautiful and I knew the WHOLE route like the back of my hand. Cake. But they had us turning a corner at like 3.02 miles or something, so seeing that finish line and those flags was so moving. And then I heard my FIL yelling and the clapping and my cousin whoop-whooping and I took off like a bat outta H-E-double hockey sticks. I wanted to be done but I could see that clock at it was only at 39 and change. Granted a very late change. but still 39!!

There was this lady in front of me that passed me about the 3rd mile and she was doing so well. But I felt so bad for her because as soon as I seen that clock I TOOK off and ran around her, just wanting to beat her. Whoops. Competitive much?! LOL I might as well just elbowed her out of the way for as fast as I was moving around her.
You can see the lady I blazed by on the right here.

So happy, with myself and to be done!

I crossed at somewhere between 40:55 and 41 mins. I took 6 minutes off of my personal best and over 4 minutes off my goal. Like, I said I was bummed I had to walk but that just gives me something to work on and for know I am just enjoying my time. 41 WHOOP WHOOP!

Next Race....13 days!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

This made me cry tears of joy for you. SO PROUD of you!!!!

Former Fat Bride said...

That sounds almost identical to my 1st 5k!! Happy for you! Congrats

4stemmes said...

Awesome job! You did so great & it's hard to run by yourself :)

Amazing work on beating your personal best!