Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The one where mama goes a leeeetle bit crazy.

So R and I are doing okay, coming to terms with having a Visually Impaired child. He has not changed in person, only in diagnosis. We love him the same, he makes us smile the same, and oh, that kid is CUUUUUTE. But having a special needs child, makes you hate everyone else just a little bit more.

Scene 1-
We are at an amusement park with family, sans child for a day in the sun. A guy walks by talking to everyone, and has the whole line crackin up. He is just one of those guys that is nice and talking to everyone about how nervous he is about getting on this specific water ride. He has a lisp. Big whoop. But, our family member mumbles something under his breath about it.
(((Side note: if you know him IRL Please don't say anything. This is not meant to make him feel bad or anything, it was not a mean comment, but a comment none the less. It was not hurtful, and this family member is not a jerk, but he is young and CRAZY about D. But he is still adjusting, just as we are, to how special D is, and what that means.)))
But I couldn't help it. I ripped into him. Not really mean, but I made it clear that I would not tolerate anyone's differences being mocked in front of me. And in swooped in my DH. He really ripped into him. He pointed out that our child has a difference and we would never want anyone talking about him, or mocking him. And that was the first time I think I have heard R step up about it, but it was like second instinct for us. We just couldn't help but say something.

Scene 2-
Out in public and we are being watched. By someone of an older generation who does not know us. To break the silence, he asks "What is wrong with his eye?"

Oh.Emm.Gee. You know that moment in the movies where you see the kids throw a rock at a baby bear, and you just know it's about to get ugly. I'm pretty sure I looked like that. Now because I know better, I sucked in a deep breath and educated this man. ::pause scene::

But I really wanted to gouge his eyes out. There is nothing "WRONG". Dawson has nothing WRONG with him. He is different, and you know what? He is SMART. When his difference gets in his way, he makes the adjustment. He will tip his head, move, reach whatever he feels he needs to do to understand what is going on. ::Beams:: He makes me proud. He makes me understand. He makes me compassionate. But sweet Jesus he makes me defensive.

Back to scene 2-
So after I was nice, and informative and polite do you know what this MORON says to me...."Well, can HE be fixed?"

Again, I was polite. I said "He will have glasses" and I walked away because that was ALL I could muster. Because what I really wanted to say was "No you assclown, because he is NOT BROKEN."

Oh and another thing. My child is not a freak of nature. He does not sleep-play, or sleep-crawl, or sleep-chew. Have you ever seen a kid fall asleep and CONTINUE chewing on toys, continue talking at the same decibel, or continue moving?! I think not. Just because his eye is closed, doesn't mean he is asleep. Nor is he overly medicated (yes, someone actually asked that) I appreciate you calling him cute, but stop commenting on his eyes in the check-out line/dog food aisle/gas station/whatever.

I realize that I will constantly be fighting for him, and will be over-sensitive about it which is not fair to the general population for just being curious. But what happened to tact? I would never say "whats wrong with...." I don't get it.

I hate that other people make me nervous to have him out in public or put up pictures at my desk, because I am sick of the RUDE questions. I don't want anyone looking at him any different than they would any other child.

Having a child with a difference automatically makes you an advocate for their quality of life, well-being, and acceptance. Forgive my rant, for now. I promise with time, I will relax. I hope.

5 comments:

4stemmes said...

You probably won't relax about it ever. And you know what? It's okay. You are his momma and defending him is what you do. I have two developmentally "normal" children and I still get uber-defensive if somebody says anything about them. Until D has a voice of his own, he needs you and your DH to educated the ignorant and to display his talents over his "weaknesses". And when the time comes, he will need you to teach him the tact it takes to smile and walk away because not everybody in this world has a fully functional brain and people will be mean to him. You just have to teach him that he can rise above it and teach him to be a better person because of it.
{{Hugs from one momma bear to another}}

Jen said...

Oh, my dear, you have written on this page what I have felt a million and a half times. I think I have actually corrected someone's "What is wrong...?" with "Well, what is RIGHT is that she was born weighing less than a small sack of sugar and she survived!" Most of the time, I just suck it in...and rant and rave to mothers who truly understand later on." thanks for your honesty. It helps all of us VI moms feel "normal".

Courtney said...

*hugs* my friend. I can't even imagine but I know I would be in momma bear mode all the time too.

I admire you guys

4stemmes said...

I just re-read my comment and the "fully functional brain" was meant in reference to the ass-hats that do and say mean things. I *really* hope that didn't offend anybody :)

mama bee said...

I knew what you mean stemmes, no worries!