Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The last 6 days

Wednesday 4/29- I know I already discussed this in the past post...but I wanted to include this...Dawson's travel accommodations.


And...These are the meds! Each blue and gray box is a different medication my peanut was on starting Wednesday.


umm...Drugs are nice...LOL My poor knocked out guy...


And the Ronald McDonald house where Ryan and I stayed...


Thursday 4/30-I woke up around 9 and called the nurse to check in. She gave me the update and then wanted to update me on how the day would go being that Dawson was the 3rd case that day. I had the nurse clarify what that meant 3 TIMES, because I wanted to be sure I had heard her correctly. Dawson was being operated on today, and he would be the third PDA Ligation in the NICU. So Ryan and I busted around and headed into Holden. This was a surprise because they told us it was not likely they would operate until Sat. at LEAST. But we met with his surgeon (who was so nice) and she explained the procedure. They would be inserting a small titanium clip in to close the duct. It would scar and grow with Dawson as he gets big and strong. Surgery would last about an hour, and then an hour to get his linens and lines re-adjusted properly, and they would operate at the bedside by entering in between 2 of Dawson's ribs on the left side. No moving for Dawson. Ryan and I went into the waiting room and 45 mins later...ALL done! A little stitch and a little gauze and Dawson was sporting his fancy new chest tube (to allow for drainage for the first 48 hours)




Friday 5/1- Dawson was recovering well, low vent settings and excellent stats. He was on some Hydrocortizone (steroids) and some Blood pressure meds and insulin to adjust some of his levels, but nothing major. All was set to remove the chest tube on Sat. Morning for transport Sat. night.



Sat 5/2- I checked in with Kristine in the morning and confirm all was set to go for transport home! YAY! Sparrow was scheduled to come for the pick up (he was coming home via ambulance) around 7. Ryan and I went up to the hospital and just kindof hung around. Dawson was doing so good, really over achieving all the stats. Well 7pm goes by, then 7:30, then 8pm with still no word from Sparrow confirming they had left. And then just as Grandpa got in to visit, in rolls Sparrow. It took them about an hour and a half to get Dawson stable and in the transport gurney. Already not a fan of travel...

We got back to Sparrow around 11:30m and into the isolation room so they could confirm Dawson didn't catch any bugs or MRSA while in U of M.

(Whoa that is a lot of stuff for such a little guy! See the yellow blanket? There he is!)

Sunday 5/3-
Well Dawson decided that he was mad at nurse Sarah for sending him away, and he was paying her back alright. In the matter of hours, we blew a art line (IV in the artery) had another one placed and blew that one too. (We are up to 5 failed lines now...yay). He tanked his stats and wouldn't digest his food. Awesome kid, if there is one thing you have mastered, it is the temper tantrum! The other thing Dawson picked up on...is a major staple in our house!



Ugh...Dad?! Was that you? Because it stinks! LOL

Monday 5/4- Well Mr. Dawson, what can we say. Your temper tantrum raged into the evening hours and they decided to give you back your "washing machine" Dawson was placed back on the oscillator (which sounds like a washing machine...that runs constantly) which is not technically a step backwards, but the vent gives us less freedom...and prevents kangaroo care. Mommy has a sad =(

Each of these red numbers refers to how Dawson is reacting to the oxygen. and wouldn't you know, not even a half an hour after being placed back, Dawson's stats skyrocket back up to 100%. YAY! Mommy has a happy! I am still bummed about not being able to hold him any time soon...but whatever makes him happy and thriving I will take. Plus..He is now off all of the meds! YAY!!

Tuesday 5/5- Happy Cinco De Mayo-Dawson seems to think today is a good day too, as he is still thriving. He had to get another blood transfusion today, but his vent settings are set at an optimum rate, and he is doing good. His blood cultures came back today and we have confirmed that he is bug/MRSA free...YAY!! No more isolation, and no more gowns! (Ryan and I had to wear gowns in order to go in to see him) He was so active tonight, and had Ryan and I cracking up.




So we are hoping for a better couple of days, with some continued low settings on the vent and hoping to begin feedings again here soon. Where oh where has the time gone...my little boy is already almost a month old!! We have his birthday coming up on Thursday, I am going to take in some pictures of Ryan and I and the dogs to tape to his isolette so that he can see them when he opens his eyes (which is still rather infrequent). I also need to think of something else to take up there to celebrate!!

Thank you all for reading and keeping our little guy in your thoughts and prayers. It means soo much to us to have so many people pulling for our little guy to stay healthy and come home...soon!!

8 comments:

Nlvaden said...

He is so tiny! I can't get over it. You are in my prayers as well as your DH and beautiful son. Sparrow is a good hospital. (I work in battle creek-live in kalamazoo). I work in EMS and do these transports so I know a bit about vent setting and oxygen sats ect... If you have any questions I can do my best to try and answer. Although they have a great staff there. I am sure they have more than took care of you.

Unknown said...

Great job on the updates Mamma! I am so proud of you and your strength through this. You and Ryan are an amazing couple and you give me hope daily that things will be ok. Tell Dawson we said hello and we hope to see you ALL soon!

Stephanie said...

Still praying for little Dawson, he's in our thoughts daily. Glad he did well with the procedure and is healing up!

Karen said...

The travel accommodation looks like something you should put your buns in (well not your buns), rolls, bread, etc. I'm so glad you are through this and moving onward and upward. I just sit and look at his pictures over and over, he is such a sweetie pie. He has stolen the hearts of everyone!
Love You, Karen (Mom)

Mari said...

thanks for the update! i've been thinking of your family. i'm glad dawson is doing so well! he looks so big in these pictures already. what's he up to now? gooo dawson!! :)

Amber said...

He doesn't look so small until the pic with the hand by him. He looks like he is doing well!

dad said...

cant wait to hold him and you too....dad

Lori said...

Mija, We are so excited and can't wait to see little D-dub. Your dad, Luis & I prayer for him daily. Ok, so I'm renigging on my babysitting deal!! We we come home I still get first dibbs on babysitting, even if its for just a few minutes. LOL (BUT I'M NOT KIDDING) We love you guys. L