Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And on the 35th day

Mama held you! Today was absolutely amazing, and that is not even the best means to describe the way I am feeling now. Dawson had been doing so well on the conventional vent, breathing over and oxygen levels at room air, that I asked about holding Dawson on Sat. They wanted me to hold off until Sunday, to ensure that his stats would stay as good as they had been. Then on Sunday when I called, they said that Dawson had been doing too good, they wanted to try out the Cpap starting Monday.

Well Monday came around, and they switched Dawson on over. He had a rough start, but then picked right up where he should have and put those lungs to work!!


Dawson says what the heck is this thing!! Doesn't it look like scuba gear!! This is his new fancy Cpap.


Yawning now that his mouth is sans breathing tube. We even got to hear him sneeze and squeak a little. No cries yet though...


We even got to check out Mr. Dawson without any equipment on. Because he is doing so well with his breathing...they were able to take off his tubes during his assessment.


Picking him up for pictures...Dawson is NOT enthused! So much personality already. We need to get some meat on those bones!! Which by the way, they have bumped him up to 2ml/hour, and he is tolerating it very well. No residuals!!

So Dr. Omar decided that if Dawson could keep his stats stable for 24 hours on the cpap, we could get him out to hold him. So today was day, on Dawson's 35th day of life, Ryan and I held him for the first time. It is so surreal, amazing, exciting, nerve wracking...all in one. I cannot wait to do it tomorrow!!

Mama holding you for the FIRST time!!






Dawson with Daddy




So as long as Dawson's stat stay stable, and he is tolerating the handling each day, this is something we can continue to do. As of now, I am going to get to try Kangaroo care (skin to skin contact) tomorrow afternoon, and holding him again tomorrow night.

5 comments:

4stemmes said...

I have been following your family's story ever since I heard about you going into labor on the bump (which, btw seems like an eternity ago to me, I can't imagine how it feels to you!) and I have been praying for you & Dawson. I was moved to tears when I read your story just now and just wanted to let you know that the prayers will be continued! Congrats on all of the wonderful progress!
(mommastemme from the bump)

Anonymous said...

Awww soooo happy for you! What an exciting moment :) Wish your family the best of luck!

Amber said...

That must have been the best feeling in the world to finally get to hold little Dawson!

Ellen said...

It must have felt amazing to finally hold your baby boy! I am so glad to hear that you are all doing so well.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't believe you had to wait 35 whole days before holding your son! I am also the Mom of a 24 weeker (who is a happy, healthy and thriving 15 month old now BTW!) and I was able to hold him on Day 6 and thought that was a long wait! Enjoy every minute cuddling with your baby boy and I hope he is home soon with Mom and Dad!